Wednesday, September 12, 2007

First day at the new job

So I was officially an hour late for my first day at my new job. Luckily it wasn't an issue. They had changed to a 4 days at 10 hrs schedule in the period between me being hired and when I started. Beyond that it was a rather interesting first day. I am working on the most annoying "game" you could possibly imagine....no really, try harder because I am sure you haven't grasped the monotony that will be consuming my time for at least the first couple of weeks of my work. I will tell you all more about it once I see you all.

That being said I managed to crash and corrupt the program I was working on with one of the things I tried while testing it. Nothing like getting congratulated for breaking something on your first day. I decided I wanted to see what would happen if I called the phone I was testing while in the middle of a download of an expansion pack for the "game". It dies. It dies a horrible terrible death that doesn't even let you back into the program once it kicks your ass out for being so cruel an heartless to it. Retesting that bug for consistency was fun. Nothing like having to wipe the program off the phone and reinstall it each time you kill it to make sure the bug is repeatable. Not to mention I found it at 11:45 right before everyone was suppose to go home. Woohoo.

Overall it was an interesting first day. I am glad to be doing something new even if it is repetitive. Looking at the others in the lab it should be no problem to jump up the ladder rather quickly. Hard work doesn't seem to be in their vocabulary. Hardly working does though. I am looking forward to working hard at work and then enjoying my 3 day weekends. It shouldn't be too bad.

TTFN

3 comments:

Michal said...

Nice work ^__^. So I guess you get to play with all sort of fun new phones and stuff...?

Did you get to fiddle around with any iPhones yet?

Roark said...

Nope. I am stuck on a horrid app which is only being tested on 4 phones all of which are on the older side. I have not seen any iphones. We are mainly working on Java and Brew based apps.

Michal said...

Oh okay. Well, I'm certainly familiar with Java, but haven't heard of Brew. Sounds like a Java derivative though ;).